I am proud to submit the following information to support the Presidential Citation for the Shenendehowa Nordic Club for the 2009 – 2010 Nordic Ski Season. The award of this citation would be at the fall meeting of the N Y S Ski Racing Association – Nordic, Inc.
Membership: We have 18 member families with over 47 individuals who ski either competitively or recreationally, making us a “growing” club as described in the criteria.
All four of our principal officers are members of NYSSRA – Nordic including: Tim Huneck, President; Jim Flaherty, Vice President; Charlie Huff, Treasurer; and Eric Hamilton as Secretary.
We are consistently represented at NYSSRA – Nordic meetings by either Tim Huneck and/or Eric Hamilton. Since the publication of the NYSSRA – Nordic Newsletter ceased we have provided several blog topics from ski orienteering, Bill Koch Youth program, and other topics. We have an active website http://www.shenendehowanordicclub.wordpress.com/.
We have four active coaches including Mike George, Mark Hopper, Tim Huneck, Jill Koziol, and Eric Hamilton. Both Tim Huneck and Eric Hamilton have acted as technical delegates for NYSSRA, although Jim Flaherty, Charlie Huff would also qualify as officials. With a bit of formal training or a bit more experience Mike George would make an excellent official.
Youth Program: We had 15 Members in the Bill Koch Youth Ski League with 20 weekly practices of which 12 were on snow.
- In conjunction with the Mohawk Towpath Byway held a successful fall training event, the Mohawk Towpath Byway Duathlon.
- Held a joint orienteering practice for both the high school team and the Bill Koch Youth families.
- In most seasons we host a moonlight family ski on the Thursday evening before the full moon. This and the following accomplishment is a great way to attract new families to Nordic ski sport in our area. We did calendar and publicize four of these this season, but conditions were not favorable on any one of those dates.
- Two Learn to Ski Sessions with Town of Clifton Park with 6 new skiers participating.
- Hosted a Fund Raiser E S G Qualifier at Day, N Y with 61 racers (and as many volunteers) and 7 youth for a Bill Koch fun race.
- Seventh Place Finish in NYSSRA – Nordic Club Series (35 race count for a total of 902 points) with 16 clubs ranked.
Perhaps our greatest accomplishment of all time, certainly the one we are most proud of, is hosting the 2010 Mid Atlantic Bill Koch Youth Ski League Festival at Lapland Lake with 75 youth and their families from all over the State. This truly went above and beyond the minimum criteria required of a club of our size. We are most appreciative of the help we received from other BKYSL and NYSSRA leaders in hosting this weekend event.