The cold north wind, seasonable as it may be, reminds us that we have an exciting cross country ski season coming up. Time to get the sensitive plants in and time to start visualizing the thrill of gliding on white stuff. The long-range forecasters are predicting a real “cold, snowy winter”; the acorns are continuously bombing us; and the wooly bear caterpillars are abundant. It is also time to renew your membership in the Shenendehowa Nordic Club. Click on “membership” in the menu to the right and get a jump on the season now.
We had four families stop by to donate gently used skis, swap skis, and rent for the coming season during the ski swap last Saturday. Folks of all ages are out roller skiing or joining in the HURT training sessions. To put the calendar in perspective. The first day of fall is tomorrow.
A several dates you should place on your calendar, please:
- November 4 – after school – first Bill Koch Youth Ski practice at Koda
- December 4, 7 PM – Family Moonlight Ski, Vischer Ferry Preserve (weather permitting)
- December 20, 10 AM – Ski Orienteering season opener at Lapland Lake
- February 6 – 8, 2015 – Empire State Games, Lake Placid
- February TBA, 2015 – Shenendehowa Classic cross country ski race (our fund raiser) and
- Feb 28 and Mar 1, 2015 – Mid Atlantic Bill Koch Festival at Osceola, NY.
Coach Zimmons will have additional dates to add to these. But these are enough to get all of us excited.